- Born: Between 1692 and 1697, Nuevo Méjico. Nueva España 1509
- Partnership (1): García 1509
- Marriage (2): Juana Gallegos on 11 May 1725 in Villa de Alburquerque, Nuevo Méjico, Nueva España 1482
- Marriage (3): María Ygnacia Lucero de Godoy 1509
Noted events in his life were:
• Family Background Information. 239
Juan Montaño had a twin brother named José Montaño.
• Background Information. 252
Juan Montaño was also know as "el Cuate." he married Juana Gallegos, sister to Joaquín Gallegos. They had a daughter, Quiteria, born 23 Jan 1729.
Nicolás* was also his son, but likely from a woman with the last name of García. Nicolás married on 15 Aug 1734 to a Quiteria Romero
~ Origins of New Mexico Families: A Genealogy of the Spanish Colonial Period, p. 234
* There are no records that show who Nicolás García Montaño's mother was, but since he went by the name Nicolás García, it is likely that he was the natural son of a woman with that name. There are records that prove that Nicolás was the son of Juan Montaño. One record is in the pre-nuptial investigation for Nicolás's son Juan Antonio Montaño. [Chávez, New Mexico Roots, Ltd., vol. 4, p. 597]
~ "From Juan Mantaño to Nicolás García: A Father and Son Relationship Explianed," by Karen Bowman, New Mexico Genealogist, Vol. 55#2, pp. 51-57 1509
• Census: Spanish, 1750, Villa de Alburquerque, Nuevo Méjico, Nueva España. 26
Juan Montaño age 53 with his wife, Ygnacia Lucero age 48 and their two children, Luisa age 15 and Ysabel age two.
Juan had a relationship with García. 1509
Juan married Juana Gallegos, daughter of Felipe Gallegos and Antonia de San Juan Aragón, on 11 May 1725 in Villa de Alburquerque, Nuevo Méjico, Nueva España.1482 (Juana Gallegos was born in 1710 in Bernalillo, Nuevo Méjico, Nueva España 252,324, baptized on 12 Jun 1710 in Bernalillo Nuestro Padre San Francisco, Bernalillo, Nuevo Méjico, Nueva España,324 died in 1729 in Alburquerque, Nuevo Méjico, Nueva España 1509 and was buried on 6 Mar 1729 in Alburquerque, Nuevo Méjico, Nueva España 1509.)
Noted events in their marriage were:
• Diligencia Matrimonial. 1482
11 Apr 1725, Alburquerque, Juan Montaño, 30 more or less, native of New Mexico and resident of Villa de Aburquerque, son of Antonio Montaño, deaceased, and Ysabel Jorge de Vera with Juana Gallegos, native of this realm, daughter of Felipe Gallegos andAntonia de Aragón, residents of the Villa de Aburquerque. ~Witnesses: Geronimo Jaramillo, 30 more of less, resident of this villa; Tomás García, 40 resident of this villa. With no impediment, the couple were paired 11 May 1725.
~ New Mexico Roots, Ld, Addendum, Part II, NMG Vol 49 #3, p. 150
Juan next married María Ygnacia Lucero de Godoy, daughter of Nicolas Lucero de Godoy and María Montoya de Vera. (María Ygnacia Lucero de Godoy was born about 1702 in Nuevo Méjico, Nueva España 270.)