Margery de Clifford
- Born: Abt 1240
- Marriage: Nicholas de Criol 193
- Died: After Mar 1318/9
Information about this person:
• Background Information: Partial Post - the rest can be found on GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives. 193
From: email@example.com (Doug Smith)
Subject: Re: Margery Pecche or Clifford, wife of Nicholas de Criol
Date: 27 Apr 2002 16:39:31 -0700
1. Robert de1 CRUEL, born in Criel-sur-Mer, Seine-Maritime; died aft 1086. He married unknown.
Children of Robert de CRUEL were as follows:
+2 iBertram de2 CRIOL.
2. Bertram de2 CRIOL (Robert de1), died Est 1160. He married Emma de CREVEQUER, daughter of Elias de CREVEQUER.
Children of Bertram de CRIOL and Emma de CREVEQUER were as follows:
+3i John de3 CRIOL.
3. John de3 CRIOL (Bertram de2, Robert de1), died aft 1194. He married Margery (---).
Children of John de CRIOL and Margery (---) were as follows:
+4i Bertram de4 CRIOL Sheriff of Kent.
5ii Simon4 CRIOL.
6iii William4 CRIOL.
7iv Nicholas de4 CRIOL.
8v Cecilia de4 CRIOL.
4. Bertram de4 CRIOL Sheriff of Kent (John de3, Bertram de2, Robert de1), died aft 1230. He married unknown.
Children of Bertram de CRIOL Sheriff of Kent were as follows:
+9i John de5 CRIOL.
10ii Bertram de5 CRIOL, died bef 1319 (dsp).
11iii Nicholas5 CRIOL Sheriff of Kent, Warden of Cinque Ports, Constable of Rochester.
11. Nicholas5 CRIOL Sheriff of Kent, Warden of Cinque Ports, Constable of Rochester (Bertram de4, John de3, Bertram de2, Robert de1), born abt 1220; died 1273 of Cherry Hinton, Cambridgeshire. He married (1) Joan d' AUBERVILLE, born abt 1226; died 6 Nov 1280, daughter of Sir William d' AUBERVILLE and Isabel (---); (2) aft 1266 Margery de CLIFFORD, born abt 1240; died aft Mar 1318/19, daughter of Sir John de CLIFFORD of Frampton-on-Severn, Co. Gloucester and Margery HEREWARD.
Children of Nicholas CRIOL Sheriff of Kent, Warden of Cinque Ports, Constable of Rochester and Joan d' AUBERVILLE were as follows:
+16iSir Nicholas de6 CRIOL.
Children of Nicholas CRIOL Sheriff of Kent, Warden of Cinque Ports, Constable of Rochester and Margery de CLIFFORD were as follows:
+17i Elizabeth6 CRIOL.
+18ii Margaret6 CRIOL.
19iii Bertram de6 CRIOL, died bef 1319.
20iv Catherine de6 CRIOL, died bef 1319. She married Geoffrey de BRADDENE.
• Family Background. 1202
" Margaria, wife of Nicholas de Cryoll, gave certain lands to Elizabeth de Clifford, to hold to her and her heirs by fine levied in the court of King Edward, son of King Henry, at York in the 30th year of his reign (1301), by virtue whereof, on John de Pabenham and Elizabeth his wife, were seized of the said lands. They had issue Thomas, and died seized of the said manor. After their death, the said Thomas entered into the same as son of the said Elizabeth, and had issue Laurence Pabenham, Chivaler, who entered therein as the son and heir of the said Thomas. The said Lawrence married Elizabeth Engayne and they had issue, Katherine, now the wife of Thomas Aylesbury, chivaler, who still survives. After the death of the said Elizabeth Engayne, the said Laurence married Joan Daubeney, and they had issue John (named in the write) and Alianor, wife of John de Tyryngham, who still survives. After the death of the said Laurence, the said John being under age and in the wardship of the King, entered the said manor, but died under age without heirs of his body, by force whereof, the said manor ought to come to the said Katherine and Alianore as daughters and heirs of the said Laurence and as kinswomen and heirs of the said Elizabeth.
"John Pabenham died on Tuesday next after the feast of St. James the Apostle (July 25) last past, the said Alianore is sister and next heir, and is aged 19 years and more. The said Katherine is aged 30 years and more."
"Chan. Inq. P.M. 8 Hen. IV., No. 61"
~From The Descent of the Family of Deacon of Elstowe and London, Part 2, p. 232
Margery married Nicholas de Criol, son of Bertram Criol Lord of Kent and Unknown.193 (Nicholas de Criol was born about 1220 in Croxton Kerrial, Grantham, Leicestershire, England and died before 1 Jul 1273 in England.)