Joseph Jewett Ensign
- Born: 1 Apr 1656, Rowley, Massachusetts 299,595
- Marriage: Rebecca Law on 2 Mar 1676 in Rowley, Massachusetts,595
- Died: 29 Oct 1724, Rowley, Massachusetts at age 68 299,595
Noted events in his life were:
• Dates & Events.
Selectman of Rowley, 1693
Soldier in King Phillips War
• Background Information. 595 From History and genealogy of the Jewetts of America, pages 24 - 27: "Here Lies Ye Body
Ensign Joseph Jewett was born in Rowley, Massachusetts, 1 Feb 1654. He married there, 2 Mar 1676, Rebecca Law, also of Rowley, and the daughter of William and Mary Law. She was born 1 Apr 1655 and died in Rowley 26 Dec 1729 and buried the next day, 27 Dec 1729. The Rowely town records state, "Rebecca Jewet with of Ensign Joseph Jewet who lay long in said disconsolate condition, but was (we hope) lifted into joy December 17, 1729." Her grave stone in the Rowley Cemetery reads:
of Mrs. Rebekah Jewet
Ye Wife of Mr
Joseph Jewet Who
Died December ye 26th
1729 in the 74th
Year of Her Age"
For his second wife, he married, 20 Jan 1731/32, the widow Mary Gage of Bradford. Mary's will was dated 8 Jan 1738 and proved on 27 Jul 1741.
Joseph Jewett lived in Rowley, was made freeman on 9 Jul 1684 and was a Representative to the General Court in 1718-1719. He was active in town affairs and was "a man of energy and character." He was a soldier in King Phillip's War, serving first Captain Joseph Gardiner's Company of Salem, and later Major Appleton's Company. He was in the Narragansett Campaign, and he was granted land for his service.
Joseph Jewet died in Rowley, 29 Oct 1735. The church record by Rev. Jedediah Jewett says, "1735 My Grandfather Joseph Jewett, in the 81st year of his age, Oct. 29."
Children of Joseph and Rebecca (Laws) Jewet, all born in Rowley:
• Jonathan, b. 11 Mar 1678/79; m. first Mary Wicom, second Rebecca (Hale) Poore
• Aquila, b. 4 Sep 1684; bap, 28 Sep 1684; m. first, Ann Tenny, second, Martha Pearson, third, Mary (Jackson) Hovey
• Priscilla, b. 9 Aug 1687; bap. 14 Aug 1687; m. Stephen Jewett
• Rebecca, b. 24 Jul 1693; bap. 30 Jul 1693; m. first, Jeremiah Burpee; second, John Pemberton
Joseph married Rebecca Law, daughter of William Lawes and Mary Cheney, on 2 Mar 1676 in Rowley, Massachusetts. (Rebecca Law was born on 6 Apr 1655 in Rowley, Massachusetts 299,595 and died on 26 Dec 1729 in Rowley, Massachusetts 299,595.)