- Born: 1578, Santiago de Compostela, Galicia 252,274
- Marriage: Catalina Pérez de Bustillo about 1600 in San Gabriel, Rio Arriba, Nuevo Méjico, Nueva España 252
- Died: After 1632, Nuevo Méjico, Nueva España
Noted events in his life were:
• Background Information. 252,274
Alonso Varela was among the party of New Mexico's first settlers who came with the Oñate party into New Mexico in 1598.
He came to New Mexico with his brother Pedro Verela. The Varela brothers were the started the families know as Varela Jaramillo (Alonso), and Varela de Losada (Pedro). He and his brother were listed as the sons of Pedro Varela.
Alonso is described as having a good stature with a chestnut beard. He was age 30 yearsin 1598. Like his brother Pedro, he was from Santiago in Galicia, España. He married Catalina de Bustillo, sister of Ana de Bustillo, in New Mexico. In 1621, he referred to himself as an old settler, sixty years of age.
He was among the Loyalists who stayed in New Mexico.
~ Origins of New Mexico Families: A Genealogy of the Spanish Colonial Period, p. 110
• Residence: La Cienega (just south of Santa Fé) with his wife in 1631. 252
Alonso married Catalina Pérez de Bustillo, daughter of Juan Pérez de Bustillo and María de la Cruz, about 1600 in San Gabriel, Rio Arriba, Nuevo Méjico, Nueva España.252 (Catalina Pérez de Bustillo was born about 1580 in Nueva España and died after 1632 in Nuevo Méjico, Nueva España.)