- Born: Abt 1720, Río Abajo, New México Territory 33,270
- Marriage: Juana de la Candelaria on 13 Apr 1739 in San Felipe de Neri, Alburquerque, Nuevo Méjico, Nueva España 412
- Died: Bef 10 May 1777, Alburquerque, Nuevo Méjico, Nueva España
The connection between Diego López and Vicente is based on the Census of 1750 and the Baptismal record of a Vicente López born in Albuquerque around the same time the Vicente López, married to María Antonia Chávez was likely born.
Diego is listed as a coyote and Juana as a mulatto throughout the records, yet Vicente and all his descends are listed as Spanish on the census of 1790. On the same census, Vicente's brother, José Antonio López, is listed as Spanish as well.
The ethic identification often doesn't matter in the latter years of the 1700s & in the 1800s because New Mexican settlers weren't to concern with listing ethneticity. People became listed as Spanish, which could mean any of the mixes that makes up Hispanic New Mexicans.
Another key connecting Vicente with Diego is that Vicente's oldest son is named after Diego and his second son is named after his wife, María Antonio Chávez's father Ygnacio Chávez y Durán. There third son, Ramón is the grandfather and name sake of my beloved grandfather. 33,270
Noted events in his life were:
• Census. 270
Diego Lópes, coyote, 29; wife, Juana Candelaria, 25; four children: Marta 8; Bisente, 6; Anna María, 5; Tomasa, 4; Manuela, India, servant, 12.
~Spanish Census of 1750, p. 80
Diego and Juana are listed as household 94. In Household 92, a possible brother of Diego's is listed. In household 95, María Lopes & Alonzo García, padrinos for one of Diego's and Juana's children. Families are often found living in close proximity to each other, so María and Miguel may be siblings of Diego.
92. Miguel Lopes, coyote, 30; wife, Manuela Martín, 21; 5 children: María, 9; Antonio, 8; Feliciana, 7; Joachín, 5; Bárbara, 3; brother-in-law María Herrera, 50, widow Antonio Trujillo; her daughter, Lugarda, 14.
93. Juana Sedillo, 55, widow of Francisco García
94. Diego Lopes, coyote 29,wife, Juana Candelaria, 25; four children: Marta 8; Bisente, 6; Anna María, 5; Tomasa, 4; Manuela, India, servant, 12.
95. Alonzo Garíca, lobo 32; wife, María Lopes, coyote 32; 3 children: Francisco, 7; Casilda, 6; Miguel, 3.
~Spanish & Mexican Census 1750-1830, p. 80
Other Lopez's listed on the 1750 census of La Villa de San Phelipe de Alburquerque:
1. María Lópes, widow of the deceased Juan Gonzales, age 50; Alejandro Gonzales, Spanish, 32; wife, Feliciana Fernandes, 18; daughter: Antonia Gonzales, 2; Ynes Gonzales, Spanish 50, widow of Juan Antonio Jaramillo and Baltasar Trujillo, both deceased; María Jaramillo, coyote, 35, single servant of Ynes Gonzales; her children: Xaviera Jaramillo, 10; Phelipe Santiago, coyote, 4; Rosalía, coyote, 3; María, Indio, 40, with 2 children: Anastacio, 13; José, 10; María Antonia, Indios, 13; Dorotea, Indios, 31, single, with 2 children: Juana, 13; Francisca, 3; Josepha, Indios, 9; Miguel, Indios, 11; Alberta, Indios, 15; theresa, Indios, single with 4 children: María Antonia, 12; Juan, 11; Dionica, 4; Antonio, 3 ~Spanish & Mexican Census 1750-1830, p. 73
35. Bisente Lopes, coyote, 25; wife, Juana Montes Oca, 16; Balentina Montes de Oca, widow of Ramón Medina, 50; orphan, Balthazar, 5. ~Spanish & Mexican Census 1750-1830, p. 76
81. Bentura Lopes, 35; wife, Thomasa Durán, 30; 1 orphan: Paulin, 4. ~Spanish & Mexican Census 1750-1830, p. 79
100. Josepha Lopes, spanish, 55; husband, Juan Moya, a deserter; 5 children (3 natural): Rufina, 22, single, with 2 children: Manuela, 10 Salvador, 8; María Francisca, 11; Andrea, 10-all legitimate; Paulín, 9; Bernardino, 8. ~Spanish & Mexican Census 1750-1830, p. 80
Diego married Juana de la Candelaria, daughter of Ventura Candelaria and Petrona Efigenia García de Noriega, on 13 Apr 1739 in San Felipe de Neri, Alburquerque, Nuevo Méjico, Nueva España.412 (Juana de la Candelaria was born about 1724 in Alburquerque, Nuevo Méjico, Nueva España 426 and died after 1790 in Alburquerque, Nuevo Méjico, Nueva España 270.)
Noted events in their marriage were:
• Marriage Record. 412
13 Apr 1739, Diego López, soltero, m. Juana de la Candelaria. Witnesses: José Chabes and María Luiza de Aragón.
~San Felipe de Neri Marriages, p. 7