Robert de Courcy
- Born: Normandy, France
- Marriage: Unknown
- Died: Normandy, France
~Irish and Anglo-Irish Pedigrees, p. 621, Robert de Courcy, Lord of Courcy in Normandy, was the son of Balderic. Robert was the father of Richard de Courcy who came to England with William the Conqueror. 11
Information about this person:
• From Gen-Medieval Archives: de Courcy. 193
From: email@example.com (Douglas Richardson)
Subject: Re: de Courcy followup to Montfort/Montagu/de la Mare
Date: 10 Nov 2004 22:13:54 -0800
firstname.lastname@example.org (Martin E. Hollick) wrote in message news:<email@example.com>...
> As a followup to Douglas Richardson's posts on the de la Mare/Montfort
> ancestry, what relationship, if any, do the following have:
> Hawise de Courcy, daughter of William and Margaret d'Avranches and
> Alice de Courcy, daughter of William and Gundreda de Warenne
> Hawise m. Reynold de Courtenay
> Robert de Courtenay m. Mary de Reviers
> Hawise de Courtenay m. John de Neville, who is evidently is the son of
> Hugh de Neville and Joan de Cornhill, the last being the daughter of
> Henry de Cornhill and Alice de Courcy above.
> If Hawise and Alice are half-sisters, then John de Neville and Hawise
> de Courtenay would be second cousins of the half blood.
> Can anyone shed some light on this? Also, Gundreda de Warenne, wife
> of William de Courcy is the product of which marriage by Gundred de
> Warenne, daughter of Wlliam de Warenne and Isabel Vermandois: Roger
> de Newburgh, Earl of Warwick or William de Lancester, 5th Baron
> Many thanks.
Dear Martin ~
The following information on the Courcy family is taken from a chart found in the book, Stogursey Charters, edited by T.D. Tremlett and Noel Blakiston (Somerset Rec. Soc. 61) (1949), pg. xxiv. I believe the descent is reasomably reliable, but it is totally lacking in documentation.
1. Baldric, m. niece of Gilbert, count of Brionne
2. Robert de Curci, 3rd son.
3. Richard de Curci, temp. William I & II, m. Wandelmode
4. William de Curci I, m. Emma, daughter of William de Falaise
5. William de Curci II, d. 1125-30, m. Avice, daughter of William Meschin
6. William de Curci III, d. 1177, m. Gundred de Warenne
7. Alice de Curci, d. c. 1218, m. (1) Henry de Cornhill, d. 1192-3; m. (2nd) Warin Fitz-Gerold, d. 1218
8. Joan de Cornhill, d. 1228-9, m. Hugh de Neville, d. 1233/4.
9. John de Neville, d. 1246, m. Hawise de Courtenay
As you can see, there is no indication of how the above family connects to the Courcy family which is found in Hawise de Courtenay's ancestry. However, I'm sure the two Courcy families are related to one another.
Best always, Douglas Richardson, Salt Lake City, Utah
• Web Reference: Courcy Castle .